As many of you know, the Togolese government confirmed a case of Covid-19 (Coronavirus) on Friday and the Ministry of Health in Benin is on alert and has taken steps regarding that person’s contact with people in Benin. We are keeping abreast of the situation as best as we can and want to inform you of the proactive measures we are taking at school.
- We reinforce stringent hygiene measures with children daily, which include effective hand washing and use of hand sanitizers. Teachers and Assistants have been instructed to assist and monitor Early Years and Lower School children with personal hygiene and older children are reminded daily to be diligent in this area.
- Hand sanitizers are in all building entrances and classrooms.
- Cleaning and other ancillary staff have been given detailed instructions regarding cleaning and personal hygiene and are to be closely monitored by their supervisor.
- Along with the daily discussion of necessary hygiene and social interaction practices, explicit (child-friendly) posters have been posted in all school buildings as reminders of means of prevention of illness.
- Swimming classes have been suspended until further notice.
Along with the measures we are taking in school, we do ask your cooperation with the reinforcement of the following:
- Please keep your child home if he/she is ill. If behaviour or temperature control which points to possible illness in your child is detected, you will be called to come in to take your child home. Kindly make sure your contact numbers are up to date.
- Your child must have a proper water bottle and MUST NOT drink from another child’s bottle. Water dispensers are available in school for re-fills and older children must follow instructions for hygienic re-filling. Teachers and assistants have been instructed to re-fill bottles for younger children in a sanitary manner.
In the event that the Beninese government requires us to close school for a period, teachers are prepared to provide lesson packs for children to work along for two weeks. Each class teacher must make sure that contact numbers and email addresses are up to date.
- Airport authorities have already begun to request that those returning to Benin from infected countries remain quarantined at home for 14 days. Under such circumstances, we may all wish to re-consider non-essential travel.
For exam-track students, we will follow instructions from Cambridge and Collegeboard (SAT exams).
School Fair Unfortunately, under the current circumstances, we will not be able to hold the School Fair on Saturday, 21st March as a community event. We would hope to be able to hold an internal ‘fun fair’ on a school day instead, if the situation in Benin remains stable. More information will be forthcoming.
In conclusion, proactive measures coupled with consideration are meant to bring reassurance and limit panic. Please do not hesitate to direct any queries to teachers or to me.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Email: email@example.com | Web: www.eis-benin.org Haie Vive, Cotonou, 08BP0430, Benin, West Africa Phone: (+229) 21 30 12 74 / 21 30 92 87 / 21 30 32 65 Registered in conformance with act of 7/9/2000, No. 105/MENRS/CAB/DC/SP I.N.S.A.E. No. 2978010355364 | C.N.S.S. No. 21705